Te Aka Whai Ora, working in partnership with both the Ministry of Health and Te Whatu Ora, is responsible for ensuring the health system works well for Māori through:
- leading change in the way the entire health system understands and responds to Māori health needs
- developing strategy and policy which will drive better health outcomes for Māori
- commissioning kaupapa Māori services and other services targeting Māori communities
- co-commissioning other services alongside Health NZ
- monitoring the overall performance of the system to reduce health inequities for Māori.
The partnership between Te Aka Whai Ora and Te Whatu Ora will invest in services grounded in te ao Māori and ensure the wider health system better recognises and is more responsive to Māori needs, alongside that of the wider population.